Sunday, March 9, 2014

Visit to a House of Refuge

After breakfast and a walk on the beach


we visited Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge, built on the "St. Lucie Rocks" (Hutchinson Island).  It is the only one remaining.  You can find more information by visiting www.elliottmuseum.org




Houses of refuge were built along Florida's east cost, a sparsely populated area when this one was constructed in 1876.  A keeper and his family lived in residence, and after storms, he walked the beach, looking for shipwreck survivors to rescue.

This would make a cozy place to live.  I can totally imagine myself here.  Come with me on a tour.

A cozy room for a quick breakfast.



















A formal dining room to entertain guests when they drop by.
















A nice old desk to write at and a gramophone to play my favorite tunes.
















A cheerful bedroom complete with mosquito netting.




A great veranda for a morning coffee break















     

with an awesome view.


Sign me up.  Oh, wait.  There wasn't any internet back then.  Guess I'll stay in this time in the wilds of Maine.


1 comment:

  1. I am really jealous, I love a warm ocean. However, it has been really nice here. I have been able to go out with my light leather jacket. I hope it stays that way. Maybe we can critique at OOB soon

    ReplyDelete