Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Out and About in Rabat


Today is my last day here.  "Leavin' on a jet plane" early tomorrow morning, so I thought I'd post some pictures from my doings her in Rabat.

Early on in my visit, I went to a horseback riding class.  Not to ride, but to watch Kensa.  She's quite the accomplished rider.

Riding Conteisse, her horse for the class

Walking back and forth to the dentist's office for several appointments (I now have a gorgeous new smile)

Gotta love the cars parking on the sidewalk

I discovered that the gate to the Jardin Botanique d'Essais was open, so I walked in.  Now, this garden has been closed at least three years to my knowledge, maybe longer, while they restored it.  In other years, when I took French classes at Amideast, I walked by it every day and wished I could go in.  Voilà.  This year I could explore it.

View from the gate looking the length of the garden
I mostly don't take artsey photos (usually don't have the eye for them) but I really like this one of an arbor.



Here's a bougainvilla hedge still in bloom

And, of course, no visit to Rabat is complete without visiting Chellah.  Off in the distance.

Taken from just across the road from the palace


It was first settled by the Phoenicians

Probable Phoenician site
and then build over by the Romans.

Broken columns and big rocks


Looking down from the Roman remains with mosque in background



















In the 14th century, the Morenid sultan built a necropolis and other structures including a mosque.


Looking into the courtyard

Standing wall of the mosque






















And here's some of a wall with mosaics still on it.




At the house, I've gone on a daily hunt for one or both of the tortoises living in the garden.  Found this dude today.



I've had a wonderful time here.  Enough time so that, although I'll be sad to leave, I'm looking forward to being home with my crazy dogs and enough ideas to write a zillion books.  Good thing winter's almost here--in Maine that is.


See you on the other side of the pond.

6 comments:

  1. Good timing with the garden being open - they must have known you wanted a peek. You certainly have had a fun-filled holiday (can't wait to see your new smile) and have been immersed in inspiration. I fully expect a swarthy hero, on horse back, in a bedouin tent, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Swarthy and in a tent at the very least.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pictures. Can't wait to see your new and dazzling smile. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hoping to do a bit of writing on the trip.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Your adventures sounds amazing. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. You must be brimming with story ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am. Already trying to figure out the sheik story

    ReplyDelete